Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act of 2007
to read the legislation (PDF format - 1.36 MB)
Specifically, the law will:
What does this mean?
- Prohibit the manufacture, sale or distribution of drain covers that do not meet anti-entrapment safety standards established by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The legislation includes a directive for the CPSC to establish a safety standard for anti-entrapment drain covers. This would ensure that all drain covers available in the marketplace would conform to certain safety criteria.
- Create an incentive grant program for states to adopt comprehensive pool and spa safety laws requiring certain safety devices in swimming pools and spas to protect children. The legislation would provide grants to states that pass a comprehensive swimming pool and spa safety law. The bill would require states to use funds, if awarded, to hire and train personnel for the proper enforcement of state law; and educate pool owners and operators, pool construction and installation companies, pool service companies and the public about the state law and about drowning prevention practices.
- Establish a national drowning prevention education program within the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The bill would require the CPSC to create and administer an educational program to inform the public about ways to prevent drowning and entrapment in swimming pools and spas, and execute a national media campaign to promote awareness of pool and spa safety.
- Require public pools to incorporate anti-entrapment drain covers and other layers of protection. The legislation would require that each public pool and spa be equipped with anti-entrapment drain covers and other layers of protection, such as safety vacuum release systems.
All residential and commercial pools with a single main drain* are now required by Federal law to have either a second main drain or an anti-entrapment device installed by December of 2008. Item # E2487, the Stingl SVRS system, meets the requirements and is much less expensive than installing a second main drain.
If you have any questions regarding this new legislation or the Stingl SVRS system, please call 1-800-765-7946. We’re here to help!
*Not applicable to pools with:
- Single unblockable main drain
- Gravity Drainage System
- Automatic Pump Shut-Off System
- Suction-Limiting Vent System
- Drain Disablement
- Safety Vacuum Release System (Stingl Switch - item# E2487)